Mr Mxolisi Kaunda has a rich socio-political activism background.
Over the years he has distinguished himself as a committed cadre of the African National Congress. He (Kaunda) has served in various leadership roles in both the ANC Youth League and Provincial structures.
Born in INanda north of Durban, he gained political consciousness early and became active from the tender age of 15. He was involved in student politics and youth political activism during the hard days of violence.
Kaunda, obtained his Diploma in Governance and Leadership from the University of South Africa and an Advanced Diploma in Advanced Governance and Public Leadership from the University of Witwatersrand.
- From 2000-2006, Kaunda served as a Ward 57 Councillor in Inanda
- From 2006-2009, he was Proportional Representation Councillor in eThekwini Municipality and served in various council portfolios such as the Economic Development and Planning Sub-Committee and Market Adhoc Committee.
- In 2004-2008 he served as ANCYL Provincial Secretary
- In 2008-2010 he serves as ANCYL Provincial Chairperson.
- In 2012 he was elected to the ANC Provincial Executive Committee (ANC PEC), he was assigned the responsibility of serving in the Economic Transformation as well as Peace and Stability sub-committees.
- In 2018, he was re-elected to the ANC PEC and serves as Chairperson of the Economic Transformation Committee.
- In 2009 to 2014 he served as a member of the Provincial Legislature and was Chairperson of the Transport Portfolio Committee.
- During this time, he served on Finance, Community Safety and Liaison as well as Co-Operative Governance and Traditional Affairs Committee as an alternate member.
- Post the 2014 National General Elections, he resumed his role in the Provincial Legislature as a Chairperson of the Transport Committee; and
- He served on the Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs, as well as Community Safety and Liaison committees.
- In 2016, he was appointed as the MEC for Transport, Community Safety and Liaison.
- After the 2019 General Elections, Kaunda was reappointed to the same portfolio until he was redeployed to eThekwini Metro as the Mayor.
- In the Provincial Executive Council (Cabinet), Kaunda chaired the Justice, Crime Prevention and Security Cluster (JCPS) and the Public Protests sub-Committee. He also Co-Chaired the Multi-Party Political Intervention Committee which is responsible for promoting political tolerance among political parties in the province.
- In Setember 2019, Kaunda was elected as the Mayor for eThekwini Metro.
- Mayor Kaunda also serves as the Vice Chairperson for the C40 African Region, a network of 97 wold cities actively engaged in climate change initiatives.